12.01.2010
Happy Birthday Mackenzie!
Mackenzie came into my life when my life was at its craziest. I had just graduated high school, broke up with a boyfriend, moved out and moved back home, worked 2 jobs, and just and the end of my rope not knowing WHAT to do.
One day I decided to look in the paper for a job. The first one I came to was a job working with special needs kids. I called and got an interview with Leslie, my old boss-my now friend, Mackenzie's mama. I got the job and met Mackenzie. I worked with other kiddos as well when I first started but Mackenzie & I struck a bond. At first I had NO clue what to do. I then became known as her secretary as I could read her eyes and know what she needed. We are now at the point of me not doing ANYTHING. Mackenzie shows me every day her motivation and determination. Yesterday I asked her if she wanted to go from doing 10 squats to 15 or 20? Her answer: lets go for 20. She never backs down from a challenge.
When I first started working with Mackenzie we helped her out of her wheelchair, helped her hold her legs still, helped her raise her arms above her head. Now she does it all...without the help! I can't take all the credit as I am just an aide. I have had 2 awesome mentors, 2 stubborn, hard working Hungarians :) Orsi has been with Mackenzie since she was 5 and says Mackenzie is the face of Conductive Education* and Helga who came in the middle and now is in a different stage of her life. Both of them have helped Mackenzie reach her goals.
All I can say is that I hope EVERYONE of you can have a Mackenzie in your life. Today is her birthday and she gets so excited every year for it. I hope that it is what you want it to be Kenz. I love you and am so thankful that you are in my life!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment